Things I am grateful for today:
- the back porch of my apartment, twinkly lights and a place to laugh with friends
- canoe tips, muddy water and the exhaustion that only comes from spending all day outside.
- new and old friends, telling stories and learning what makes their eyes light up with passion
- pictures of my dog, floppy ears and confused eyes
- hot showers and lavender scented soap
- warm rain and a warmer cup of tea
- dancing in my living room, singing at the top of my lungs
- the feeling of breathe going in and out of my lungs, reminding me I’m alive
- a challenge, being the learner rather than the teacher. I like learning: at work, in the canoe, at church, everywhere.
- the frustration and ultimate joy that comes from willing my lips and tongue to form words in foreign languages, chatting with my Arabic tutor and practicing French with friends
- walking home and noticing that the sky is streaked with colour and the streets are lined with green as all the sun sets and trees start to bloom
- grainy skype calls, laughter and updates on friends in Australia, Cambodia, Switzerland and sweet Barrie, ON
- peace that surpasses all else
- learning more about my personality, how God made me and how I can be the best me I can be
- plant sitting over the summer for a friend, my cute office filled with growth and life, albeit prickly!
- red wine and fancy cheese
- hugs that speak a million words of love
- a job that makes me eager to continue studying the field I grow to love more and more all the time, kind co-workers, opportunities to learn everyday
- a bed, clean sheets and food in the fridge.
- a fleece sweater on a chilly day
- walking to work, colourful buildings I pass along the way, listening to an audiobook about Nepal that sometimes makes me cry. Breathing fresh air before I get to the office
- my Marmee. I’ll call her from a canoe for the second mother’s day in a row. Knowing beyond a shadow of doubt she has my back.
- my roommate’s cat, the nicest cat in the world. My roommates, my first roommates who are lovely and loud and funny and kind.
- books and blogs about countries I pray I’ll someday visit, photos of mountains and descriptions of chaotic marketplaces
- for home, for feeling at place in Ottawa. For having a church and a job and friends and community and a place in this large and busy city.
For Jesus, for giving me every blessing above. I am so grateful, so at peace, so filled with awe and wonder today at how much good is in this world and in my life.
Until next time, Sam
2 thoughts on “Grateful II”
what a cute pup!!
Pingback: An ode to 2017 – Sam's Grand Adventure